Google Web Toolkit is out of Beta and release of version 1.4

Sumit Chandel

Aug 28, 2007, 4:19:08 PM8/28/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com, Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

We're very pleased to announce that after much hard work from the Google Web Toolkit community, GWT is out of Beta! Thanks goes out to all those who helped to make GWT better and to all those developers who have been using GWT to build fantastic web applications.

You can read more about the history of GWT at:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-web-toolkit-towards-better-web.html

We've also posted some interesting materials as described on the GWT blog:
http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2007/08/gwt-14-release-and-out-of-beta.html

And for those of you looking to transition to GWT 1.4, check out the instructions and Q&A:
http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75278&topic=12430

Thanks for all your support in making this happen. As usual, you can look forward to more GWT goodies as we continuing making GWT better.

Keep on codin'
-Sumit Chandel

spra...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2007, 6:36:40 PM8/28/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Great news, congrats! One small issue: I'm getting a file not found
for the linux version of this release:
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/files/gwt-linux-1.4.60.tar.gz

Best regards,
Chris

On Aug 28, 1:19 pm, "Sumit Chandel" <sumitchan...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We're very pleased to announce that after much hard work from the Google Web
> Toolkit community, GWT is out of Beta! Thanks goes out to all those who
> helped to make GWT better and to all those developers who have been using
> GWT to build fantastic web applications.
>

> You can read more about the history of GWT at:http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-web-toolkit-towards-bet...
>
> We've also posted some interesting materials as described on the GWT blog:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2007/08/gwt-14-release-and-out-o...

Sumit Chandel

Aug 28, 2007, 6:51:55 PM8/28/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Spraguer,

You should be able to find the Linux distribution of GWT 1.4 at the
link below:
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/files/gwt-linux-1.4.60.tar.bz2

Could you tell me where you found the link you posted on the GWT site?

Thanks,
-Sumit Chandel

Dan Peterson

Aug 28, 2007, 8:56:09 PM8/28/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Spraguer,

Thanks for letting us know about that. This should be fixed now. We recently changed the compression from tar.gz to tar.bz2 for the linux distro, and we neglected to update one of the links with the original website push.

Linux distro should work now: http://code.google.com/download.html

Happy coding!

-Dan

Dan Peterson

Aug 28, 2007, 9:27:03 PM8/28/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Er ... remind me to sleep before posting. I meant: http://code.google.com/webtookit/download.html

-Dan

Sanat Gersappa

Aug 29, 2007, 2:31:11 AM8/29/07
to Google Web Toolkit

Lovely!

Thanks a ton.

Regards,

Sanat.

On Aug 29, 1:19 am, "Sumit Chandel" <sumitchan...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We're very pleased to announce that after much hard work from the Google Web
> Toolkit community, GWT is out of Beta! Thanks goes out to all those who
> helped to make GWT better and to all those developers who have been using
> GWT to build fantastic web applications.
>

> You can read more about the history of GWT at:http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-web-toolkit-towards-bet...
>
> We've also posted some interesting materials as described on the GWT blog:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2007/08/gwt-14-release-and-out-o...

David Goodenough

Aug 29, 2007, 4:57:23 AM8/29/07
On Tuesday 28 August 2007, Sumit Chandel wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We're very pleased to announce that after much hard work from the Google
> Web Toolkit community, GWT is out of Beta! Thanks goes out to all those who
> helped to make GWT better and to all those developers who have been using
> GWT to build fantastic web applications.
>
> You can read more about the history of GWT at:
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-web-toolkit-towards-better-we
>b.html
>
> We've also posted some interesting materials as described on the GWT blog:
> http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2007/08/gwt-14-release-and-out-of-beta
>.html
>
> And for those of you looking to transition to GWT 1.4, check out the
> instructions and Q&A:
> http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75278&topic=12430

There seems to be something wrong with this page. It stops just after telling
you wnat you had coded in 1.3 and before telling you what to replace it with
in 1.4 when talking about the new bootstrap process in section 2.

David

Axel Kittenberger

Aug 29, 2007, 8:41:35 AM8/29/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Does this mean "gwt-linux-1.4.59" is the final 1.4 version, or do I
need to upgrade again?

Does this mean work on 1.5 starts now?

thierryd

Aug 29, 2007, 9:20:20 AM8/29/07
to Google Web Toolkit
No, 1.5.60 is the final 1.4 version (it include a small fix for the
benchmarking issue).

Work on 1.5 has already started. And they have started big by starting
with Java 5 support. Whoohoo! :D

(see the GWT contributor group for more info)

tdr :)

thierryd

Aug 29, 2007, 9:21:40 AM8/29/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Oops, sorry, I meant 1.4.60, not 1.5.60....

tdr :)

Sumit Chandel

Aug 29, 2007, 2:00:23 PM8/29/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thanks for pointing this out. There was some text that needed to be escaped in the documentation that we missed. Try it out now, it should be working fine:

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75278&topic=12430

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

Adrian Marti

Aug 30, 2007, 10:36:16 AM8/30/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Congrats! GWT has made web programming enjoyable again, thanks!

adrian

csplrj

Sep 7, 2007, 6:33:13 AM9/7/07
to Google Web Toolkit
The Version I have on my PC is GWT 1.4.10. Was that beta version?

I don't remember that and so am asking

Bye for now

CSJakharia

Sumit Chandel

Sep 7, 2007, 12:41:29 PM9/7/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi CSJakharia,

GWT 1.4.10 is RC1 and is indeed a beta version. Check out GWT 1.4 (build 1.4.60) for the final release of 1.4 and the milestone marking GWT out of beta!

http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/versions.html

Thanks,
-Sumit Chandel

markroth8

Sep 11, 2007, 6:15:55 PM9/11/07
to Google Web Toolkit
This is great!

Is there (going to be) a 64-bit build for Linux? I'm keeping around a
32-bit JVM just to run GWT apps in hosted mode.

- Mark

Owen

Sep 13, 2007, 12:37:10 PM9/13/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Why the new release broken IE6.

On Aug 28, 4:19 pm, "Sumit Chandel" <sumitchan...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We're very pleased to announce that after much hard work from the Google Web
> Toolkit community, GWT is out of Beta! Thanks goes out to all those who
> helped to make GWT better and to all those developers who have been using
> GWT to build fantastic web applications.
>

> You can read more about the history of GWT at:http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-web-toolkit-towards-bet...
>
> We've also posted some interesting materials as described on the GWT blog:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2007/08/gwt-14-release-and-out-o...

Dan Peterson

Sep 15, 2007, 8:23:30 PM9/15/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Owen,

What do you mean?

Cheers,
-Dan

Dave T

Sep 23, 2007, 10:00:32 PM9/23/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

Does anyone know what else is needed to switch from the 1.4 beta to
this new non-beta 1.4 release? I tried updating my project's Build
Path JARs, as the Developer Knowledge Base suggests, but RPC calls now
fail (I get a "Project is out of date" error).

Thanks in advance.

Dave T

Sep 23, 2007, 10:06:08 PM9/23/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Here's the stacktrace:

[ERROR] Bad project...
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.IncompatibleRemoteServiceException:
This application is out of date, please click the refresh button on
your browser
at
com.sharedplan.projectmgmt.editor.client.rpc.OpenProjectService_TypeSerializer.create_com_google_gwt_user_client_rpc_IncompatibleRemoteServiceException_FieldSerializer(transient
source for
com.sharedplan.projectmgmt.editor.client.rpc.OpenProjectService_TypeSerializer:
14)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchImpl.callMethod(IDispatchImpl.java:
126)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchProxy.invoke(IDispatchProxy.java:
150)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchImpl.Invoke(IDispatchImpl.java:
293)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchImpl.method6(IDispatchImpl.java:
196)
at
org.eclipse.swt.internal.ole.win32.COMObject.callback6(COMObject.java:
117)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.ole.win32.IDispatch.Invoke(IDispatch.java:
64)
at org.eclipse.swt.ole.win32.OleAutomation.invoke(OleAutomation.java:
493)
at org.eclipse.swt.ole.win32.OleAutomation.invoke(OleAutomation.java:
417)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.ModuleSpaceIE6.doInvokeOnWindow(ModuleSpaceIE6.java:
63)

Making this RPC call worked consistently with the older 1.4.10 JARs,
but switching to the new 1.4.60 JARs causes this error.

Isaac Truett

Sep 24, 2007, 8:15:07 AM9/24/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Did you update the jars deployed on your server?

Anil

Sep 26, 2007, 3:04:44 PM9/26/07
to Google Web Toolkit
can you please comment on my issue? I would love to use GWT but...
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/msg/fcdd53868bf2824d

thanks,
Anil

On Aug 28, 3:19 pm, "Sumit Chandel" <sumitchan...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We're very pleased to announce that after much hard work from the Google Web
> Toolkit community, GWT is out of Beta! Thanks goes out to all those who
> helped to make GWT better and to all those developers who have been using
> GWT to build fantastic web applications.
>

> You can read more about the history of GWT at:http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-web-toolkit-towards-bet...
>
> We've also posted some interesting materials as described on the GWT blog:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2007/08/gwt-14-release-and-out-o...

Sorcha

Oct 16, 2007, 10:02:28 AM10/16/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Sumit,

Regarding com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.ComplexPanel's method, public
boolean remove(Widget w)...

The beta version's validation, if (!getChildren().contains(w))
{return false;}
has been replaced in version 1.4.6 with if (w.getParent() != this)
{return false;}

This has had the unfortunate consequence of 'breaking' both the GWM
and GWT-Stuff projects, which don't validate that the Widget is not
null prior to calling this method.

Are there any plans to revert to previous validation to avoid
backwards incompatibility?

Kind Regards,
Sorcha

On Aug 28, 10:19 pm, "Sumit Chandel" <sumitchan...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We're very pleased to announce that after much hard work from the Google Web
> Toolkit community, GWT is out of Beta! Thanks goes out to all those who
> helped to make GWT better and to all those developers who have been using
> GWT to build fantastic web applications.
>

> You can read more about the history of GWT at:http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-web-toolkit-towards-bet...
>
> We've also posted some interesting materials as described on the GWT blog:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2007/08/gwt-14-release-and-out-o...

Rinku

Oct 31, 2007, 8:50:13 AM10/31/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Sumit,
I have migrated my application from 1.10 to gwt 1.4.60
and now I facing problem in clickListener.
On click of an image some time it is not working.
Please help me.